Sunday, March 10, 2013

Beer Flows at Hofbrauhaus

After our trip to Dachau, it was obvious that we needed an evening of uplifting fun and enjoyment. Opting to take advantage of being in Munich, we did one of the most touristy things you can do -- visit the Hofbrauhaus. 

Walking in, we were met with extreme heat due to the massive amount of people inside. Each table was full of beer drinking, sausage eating people, each with a smile on their face. Beers raised high above ones head, a German orchestra played while visitors cheered and sang loud and proud. I laughed at the hilarity of it all. 

Lucky enough, we were approached by a couple from San Francisco who asked if we would like to join them. Eagerly taken them up on their offer, we sat down and began looking over the menu. Now, anyone who goes to Hofbrauhaus knows that you drink beer, so, without question, we ordered one dark Bavarian beer and one light beer. Although the man with us tried to order for my mom and me, we took him up on his suggestion of ordering the crackling pork knuckle, but because we do not eat veal, we decided on Bockwurst [a smoked sausage]. Mom also decided that we needed a side of Bavarian kraut and red cabbage. 

Receiving our food and beer, we did not touch one item on the table until both parties finished taking photos of what lie before us. The man at the table positioned the food and beer on the table with precision before taking each photo. Mom and I on the other hand, were not so particular, but instead, snapped a few photos and began to dig in. 


I never imagined myself liking a pork knuckle, but the moment I tasted it, I was in Heaven. Moist and tender, it provided an incredible taste once it hit my pallet. The red cabbage provided the small bit of sweetest needed and the bockwurst was everything I knew it would be -- flavorful and filling. 

Now, to the most important part, the beer. I have never drank that much beer in my life. A full liter, I found myself enjoying my beer far more than I should have. Having never been a dark beer fan, this beer was different...and I liked it. Of course, I had fully planned to stop after one liter, but the kind gentleman with us  ordered he and his wife another beer, as well as my mom and I. Splitting it between the two of us, I ultimately drank 1.5 liters of dark Bavarian beer. Needless to say, I was feeling quite happy by the end of the night. 

Spending four hours inside Hofbrauhaus, the couple, my mother and I carried on great conversation, talking about where we come from, our reasons for traveling, so on and so forth. Before leaving, a young man, Antony, approached our table. Greeting us with a smile, he raised his beer glass to provide cheers to each of us at the table. The man sitting with us informed him of my marital status -- a single, 27-year-old female who he believed to be "beautiful" and searching for a mate. 


I literally laughed out loud at his attempts to set me up, finding it humorous that even on the other side of the world, people continue in their attempts to find me a date. Coming over to me, Antony shook my hand and said that he agreed with the man, calling me beautiful, but reminding me that he was "a nice guy" and would never try to impose on an American like myself. 

Incredibly friendly, he invited me to a festival that occurs during the Lenten season. Although I cannot remember the name of the festival, it is much like Oktoberfest, but not many tourists can be found in attendance. Never once did he ask where I was staying [I was fully prepared to provide him with a different hotel...I don't tell people where I am staying for safety reasons], but instead, encouraged me to attend the festival as he would enjoy my company.

Thanking him for the invitation, I told him I would think about it. If I would have had more time in Munich, I would have gone as I have heard it is a wonderful festival, full of people drinking, singing, and dancing. However, due to time constraints, I was unable to attend. In a crowd of thousands, I doubt I would have spotted Antony anyways; however, I must say, I was quite flattered that he asked. Who would have thought...I get asked out in a country on the other side of the world!

0 comments:

Post a Comment